Learn all about the caregiver archetype, including definition, characteristics, examples and more.
The Caregiver archetype is the archetype that is fulfilled by taking care of others. Caregivers are moved by compassion and a desire to help others. It is also known as the saint, helper, and parent.
Personality archetypes represent the nature of our personality. They group human nature according to certain characteristics. They are literary devices that are used in works of literature and art alike.
Archetypes help to understand human patterns, their behaviors on a fundamental level, and are the experiences shared by race and culture. These experiences are life, birth, love, religion, struggle survival and death. Archetypes give characters a universal acceptance.
Table of Contents
What is a caregiver archetype?
If you are looking for the caregiver archetype definition:
The caregiver archetype is the most selfless archetype. They desire to protect, help, and care for others. They offer sustenance to the vulnerable. Their values are generosity, self-sacrifice, empathy, and selflessness. They see the good in most and respond with reassurance. They try their best to please everyone they come across. They are also known as altruists, nurturer, helper, and mother. The common careers for them are teacher, clergy, musical/art therapist and animal lawyer.
Caregiver archetype characteristics
These are the characteristics common to caregiver archetypes:
- They prioritize helping others above everything else.
- They strive to protect people closest to them.
- They are maternal in nature and very caring.
- They are very compassionate and show a great deal of empathy to everyone.
- They are consistent and trustworthy.
- They provide structure to the world through service.
- They pay more attention to other people than themselves.
- They are quick to forgive and encourage.
- Their generosity inspires others around them.
- They feel joy from giving love and receiving love.
- They like natural, warm and sunny environments.
- They like to live a simple and humble life.
- They value the time spent with people over the activities done with them.
- They cultivate hope in other people.
- They are usually very optimistic.
Caregiver archetype examples
Denzel Washington as Robert McCall in the Equalizer films
In the movie, Robert McCall is a character with skills just retired from the DIA. He encounters a victim of sex trafficking and goes out of his way to defend the innocent victim. He could not stop himself from interfering because he is a caregiver.
In the sequel, he goes around driving a taxi listening to people’s conversations and taking note of those in need. He then goes ahead and tries to help them in whatever way he can. He also becomes a mentor to a kid in the neighborhood and tries to help him make something of his life.
Other examples of fictional characters with the caregiver archetype are:
- Sandra Bullock as Leigh Anne Tuohy in the movie ‘Blindside.’
- Liam Neeson as Oskar Schindler in the Schindler’s List.
Brands Associated with the Caregiver Archetype
The tone of these brands is warm, gentle and welcoming. They try to instill hope and assurances. They treat their employees well and their consumers with a high level of service.
They try to anticipate needs in advance and do their best to accommodate them. Their marketing techniques focus on providing helpful experiences and relationships. They also hold sentiments in high regard and family values. They give customers a competitive advantage.
Examples of brands with caregiver archetypes are Heinz, Volvo, Kleenex, Allstate Toms, and Gerber.
People Associated with the Caregiver Archetype
There are people in real life usually associated with this archetype. Examples are Mother Theresa, Princess Diana, Paula Dean, and Nelson Mandela.
Caregivers have the insatiable desire to fix everything which means they are always trying to please everyone. This gets exhausting for them and they don’t take enough time to take care of themselves. They should also learn to value themselves more.
Are you a Caregiver? Find out if you are with a FREE personalized archetype reading.